You’ve probably come across essential oils at some stores or at a spa you frequent to. Maybe you’ve uncorked a bottle and sniffed it and loved the fragrance too! Did you know that essential oils have been long used as a part of aromatherapy to help alleviate a variety of issues like anxiety, insomnia, stress, aches and pains, digestive issues and menstrual problems to name a few.
Essential oil can be used in the following ways:
Diffusing the fragrance:Add 2-3 drops of essential oil to water in the diffuser. Light a candle and let the heat from the candle make the oils evaporate causing it to spread a fragrance in the air.
Inhaling it directly: The essential oils that are used in inhalation are typically to cure respiratory disorders or decongestion.
Applying it topically: When applied topically Essential oils are used in the form of massage oils, bath oils or therapeutic skin care.
We’ve listed a couple of essential oils their uses, go ahead and choose which one you would like to have in your home!
Popular oils and their uses
- The essential oil of Rosemary is associated with feelings of contentment and it has shown to have positive effects on the moods of people.
- Lavender is known to have calming and sedative properties. Using this essential oil, especially at nights promotes a good sleep. The lavender oil is also commonly used as an antiseptic for minor cuts and burns. It can also be used to relieve headache and migraines.
- The essential oils of citronella and lemon grass are known to purify the air, thus ensuring lesser presence of bacteria. These oils are also commonly used as an insect repellent. You can either use this in the form of diffusers, incense sticks and incense cones.
- The essential oil of bergamot is known to cure diseases related to the digestive and the urinary tract.
- Clove oil has been long used as a topical analgesic to reduce toothaches and pains.
- The essential oil of black pepper is used to stimulate blood circulation, reduce muscular aches, pains and bruising.
- Eucalyptus has been often used to relieve respiratory disorders and clear the congestion. The essential oil of eucalyptus when combined with peppermint oils can also help in the reduction of common cold, flu and cure migraines and headaches.
- The essential oil of basil is known to sharpen focus and concentration and alleviate symptoms of depression.
- Lemon oil is known to be effective in reducing the symptoms of stress and depression. The fragrance of lemon is known to uplift the moods of people when inhaled.
- The essential oils of geranium are commonly used as a diuretic (makes you get rid of water) and an antiseptic.
- Tea tree oils are known to have antiseptic, disinfectant and antimicrobial qualities. The essential oils of tea tree can be found in mouth rinse or mouth washes. Tea oil is also known to clear acne related issues.
- Thyme oil is known to combat stress, nervousness and fatigue thus relaxing a person.
Did you know? Since essential oils are high concentrated oils, no essential oil can be applied directly on skin undiluted, except very few like the lavender and tea tree oils.
Essential oils not only spread their wonderful fragrance but also induce a feeling of joy and calmness. So go ahead and breathe the air of pure bliss with some fantastic essential oils.
This article is copyright ©2013 by Omved Lifestyle Pvt.Ltd. This article may be reprinted provided that all credit information remains intact. If you wish to use this article, you must include the reprint credits that are shown on the top and the bottom of the article. If you wish to modify any aspect of the reprint credit or article, or use any other content from our blog, you must first contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request written permission.